Thursday, March 31, 2011

"I can't drive 55!"

I can hear the great 80's song "I can't drive 55!" by Sammy Hagar playing in my head as I round the 20mph turn at 55. This is not the first time I have done something like this as I tend to have a bit of a "lead foot" but it was the first time that I realized if I don't slow down I am going to roll the 15 passenger van that I apparently forgot  I have been driving for 10 years. Big vehicles do not stop or turn very quickly. My heart speeds up a bit realizing the danger I put us in as I hear Jameson yell from the back, "That was FUN!" Well I will admit that for a moment it was fun but I will also admit that I saw a reflection of myself in how quickly I was making the turn and how quickly I get ahead of God. My giftings and personality like to tell God that "I can't drive a 55!" I don't mind God setting the rules but I certainly like to set the pace. Whenever I am driving with my boys we like to point out cars and dream about driving different ones on different days. I have been telling the boys that I want them to get me a Hot Rod for my birthday like the one from "Dukes of Hazard" where I can take jumps and crawl in and out the window. Now this may pose a problem on Grocery Shopping day but I guess I will drive the van for that chore. As I longingly admire Hot Rods I have been noticing that I also admire the stability of the Lexus or Cadillac. I compare this to God's tempering in my giftings in my life. A few days after my "too fast of a turn' incident I had a Dr. appointment. This Doctor has delivered all but one of my children, laughed and cried with us and I feel it a privilege to call him 'friend.' He also loves cars, and for some reason the subject comes up when he, without hesitating, tells me without a doubt I remind him of a Ferrari. I knew that it was true but I spent a few minutes trying to convince him that I am older, wiser, and slower and maybe I resemble more of a Toyota now? He laughed and said, "No! Ferrari!" I know I move and drive at a fast pace. I can see I usually hit the finish line, being done with the race while Don is still admiring the view. I see God's hand in this lesson in that it's not the pace that's the problem, it's not abiding in the Vine. Not listening and yielding to the Lord. I was turning the corner at 55 without any thoughts of Him and He revealed that there are many areas where I continue to do this. God has gifted all of His children but he gives them different giftings to be used for His purposes. So weather you're a slow Volks bus, a steady Toyota Camry, or a Ferrari, we need to be in submission to Christ and to one another and using our gifts not to be racing ahead or slowing others down but to work together in love. We have had some rough times with church the last couple of years. It has left us wanting to forget about it and race ahead at our own speed doing our own thing. I am reminded that our gifts are not our own. Our life and the Church (people, not the institution) is His bride. Christians, we need to put differences, preferences and pride all aside and work together in the Gospel, remembering God doesn't need us but delights in using us. Churches are popping up everywhere with the focus on all different missional aspects. Everyone thinking they have something more authentic to offer. I openly admit that I am a bit of a show-off but I am also seeing the need to have the other size of engines in my life. I need the body and it's different giftings and they need me. My lesson? Slow down, see, and hear God...not despise the slow pokers but embrace His love and care for me and not turn away or 'speed off' from the Church (bride) but submit myself to trust that as we rub against each other there is more than an irritation going on but a sharpening. The hurt done by men in authority, "pastors," have been very real and damaging. But God is redeeming this for His glory and I see the Gospel much more clearly in the last two years. He is making all things new and preparing us to once again engage and love the body of Christ (church).